Lake Palace Udaipur was built between 1743 AD to 1746AD under the leadership of 62nd Maharana Jagat Singh II of Udaipur. It was earlier called Jag Niwas after the name of its founder Jagat Singh. It was first constructed as a royal summer residence.
This palace was built in the east due to the worship of the Hindu god Suryadev by the residents of here.Located in the Udaipur district of Rajasthan state, Lake Palace is one of the important tourist destinations of Udaipur. This is also known as Jag Niwas.
Lake Palace is a grand hotel built on the Jag Niwas island of Pichola Lake. The Lake Palace has 83 rooms and suites made of white marble walls. Speed boats are used to transport guests to the Lake Palace Hotel. Lake Palace is counted among the most romantic hotels in India and the world.
History of Lake Palace Udaipur Rajasthan
The rooms above are curved, which is 21 feet in diameter. Its floor is made of black and white marble and the walls are adorned with adorned studded stones.
In the revolution of 1857, many European families fled Neemuch and came here, which was given shelter by the then Maharana Swaroop Singh. To save his guests, all the boats coming to this palace were destroyed so that the rebel could not reach this island.
An additional pavilion, Chandra Prakash was built here in Maharana Bhupal Singh’s Shashaan, the rest of the Jag Niwas was never changed. Bhagwant Singh decided to make Jag Niwas Jag Niwas the first luxury hotel in Udaipur.
An American artist designed this hotel. In 1971, the Taj Group took over the management of this hotel and got 75 rooms built. In 2000, it was repaired a second time.
Lake Palace was used for the filming of many films. In which
· The film The Tiger of Eschnapur and The Indian Tomb was shot in 1959.
- · In 1983, an excerpt from James Bond’s film Octopussy was filmed at the Jal Mahal.
- · In 1984 the British TV series The Jewel in the Crown was filmed as the guest house of the Nawab of Mirat.
- · In 2001, for the first time in Jal Mahal, the Bollywood film Subhash Ghai-directed “Yade” was shot in which Hrithik Roshan and Kareena Kapoor were the main actors.
- · Shooting the film The Fall in 2006
- · In 2013, excerpts from the movie “Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani” were screened.